Tuesday, July 19, 2016

On the Road of Life

Here's a short little slice that goes along with a longer story that I hope to eventually write...

Right now, I am sitting in the passenger seat watching fields, rail fences and clouds approaching on the horizon, while my past and all its disappointments get smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror.

Almost three years ago, I was counting down the days until I went from Ms. to Mrs.  Final fitting done.  Guest total counted.  We were making plans for an unforgettable honeymoon on a tropical island.

Right now, I am embarking on what will surely be an unforgettable trip.  No tropical island.  No guests, just me and my mom.  No fancy dresses.  And not that I'm counting, but it's been a matter of days since I went from Mrs. back to Ms.

Almost three years ago, I described myself as engaged.  I had a fiance.  I was about to get married and make a commitment that would last a lifetime.

Right now, I am going to have to start using the 'D' word to describe myself.  I am riding in a car across the country with my mother.  At least her commitment is long-lasting.

Almost three years ago, I was envisioning celebrating anniversaries, traveling with my husband, starting a family.

Right now, I am sitting in the passenger seat trying to figure out how to create my vision for the future.  Going to have to stop looking back at the ugliness of my rear view mirror past.  This wasn't how it was supposed to be.  But right now, this is my life.

Right now, we are passing a massive red semi-trailer truck.  The message on the driver's door reads: On the road of life, sometimes you have to drive through a lot of shit.

Yes, Mr. Truck Driver, yes you do.


3 comments:

  1. I love your voice here and the images you bring to mind. Yup, life's road is rarely what we expect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your voice here and the images you bring to mind. Yup, life's road is rarely what we expect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece that talks about something difficult. One of last year's students commented to me that it is easier to write about sad things than happy. Alas, it is too true. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete