Thursday, March 2, 2017

Kindergarten conversations 2/31 #sol17

I know I need to write down more of my conversations that happen in the kindergarten classrooms.  They are always amazing and always put a smile on my face.

I walked into the classroom and plopped into a tiny chair at one of the round tables.  5-year-olds were all around, buzzing with snack time stories.  There was the delicious smell of potato chips and strawberries wafting through the air.

I was welcomed with lots of "Mrs. Garden" cheers, toothy smiles and a few surprise behind the back hugs.

I turned to a friend next to me who was popping strawberry pieces in his mouth and staring at me through finger smudged glasses.  And somehow I found myself in the middle of a conversation about the apparently neverending list of Thomas the Train toy products.  I had him at the first mention of the giant hand me down toy train container that my daughter was recently given.

"Do you have the Thomas the Train trackmaster," he asked me, inching closer to me.

"I think so?" I replied not so confidently.

"How about the Percy something something?"  Honestly can't remember what the description he gave was.  Probably because at the same time I had another friend tugging on my shirt and a little girl across the table asking me about my crazy socks I was wearing.

I said that I thought we had that.  He informed me that it costs $135.

"Oh, ok, then no we do not have that one at our house."

I tried to describe the large container that we had at home and what some of the trains looked like.

"Can you take a picture of your trains and bring it to school to show me?" he asked while pushing his glasses up on his nose.

"Yes, I will take a picture to show you," I promised.

"Can I come over and have a playdate at your house?" he begged.

"I would love to have a playdate with you, but for now let's just start with me sharing a picture with you," I smiled back at him.

As he jammed his hand into the tupperware container in front of him, grabbed another strawberry and crammed it into his mouth, I decided to make my graceful exit from our train conversation and head into another room in search of more great conversations.

Note to self: be sure and take a picture of our train collection at home.  If I do forget, I have a feeling my friend with the one track (or train track) mind will keep reminding me!

5 comments:

  1. Oh how I love the Kinderbabes!! Thank you for this slice!
    ...and for Heaven'S sake, remember that picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of the mouths of babes...and yes...you better remember to take that picture because your friend will definitely remember! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this right before going to bed. I will sleep with a smile on my face - picturing that conversation you described. Miss those kindergarten exchanges. And yes, you better take a picture of your train collection for tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow Kindergarten teacher I can relate to your exchange with the train enthusiast. I happen to have a Thomas the Train set in my classroom due to the generosity of a former parent. However I am ignorant of the names of the trains . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I taught kindergarten for ten years and they come up with the best lines! Your little Thomas-loving friend sounds adorable. I must confess though that I HATE Thomas! My son was never that into it, but we have some of the books. When he wants to torture me, he makes me read them. They are the most boring things ever...in my opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete