Thursday, March 16, 2017

I have a problem 16/31 #sol17


Here is a picture of my dresser which is next to my bed right now:

So I have a problem.  They say admitting it is half the battle.  I have a serious book addiction.  I know this.  I am aware of the fact that I cannot leave a bookstore without a purchase.  I know that when I hear about a good book, I immediately have to have it.  I know I have a problem.  Unfortunately, my cleaning lady apparently felt the need to throw my problem back in my face.  Normally, I have many little piles of books everywhere in my house.  Some were on the floor next to my bed.  Some were in a pile on the dresser.  Some were on the shelf over my bed.  Some were in a pile at the top of the stairs.  You get the idea.

After a visit from the cleaning lady (a Christmas present to my husband that I have to admit was more like a gift for myself that keeps giving every other week!), when I came upstairs and saw this new giant pile, all of my little piles merged into one towering pile...well I  realized that yes, I have a big problem.  My to-be-read pile is starting to take over the dresser.  It sort of makes me think of one of my favorite poems from Shel Silverstein...Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout...she was that little girl who never wanted to take the garbage out.  Remember her?  And the garbage kept piling higher and higher up to the sky.  I fear my book pile is going to keep growing and growing.  And when will I ever get the chance to actually read all of these books!?

For now, I think I am going to stop writing and try to tackle my pile, one book at a time, one page at a time.  

And like in the end of the poem where there was a reminder to all children about always taking the garbage out...
I will say, remember readers, always make sure to keep reading through your to-be-read piles.  Don't let your piles take over!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one with this problem!! It was as if I was reading about myself. I have a small office in my home with my shelves full of books-all kinds-educational, spiritual, fiction, historical/bios, children's books...you name it! Just taking one book at a time-sometimes 3 or 4 at a time. :) Love to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really sympathize with you -- proof is I just wrote about my own problem myself!

    https://illgiveyouallthisandmore.wordpress.com/2017/03/16/book-binge-sol-day-16/

    I don't know what this was.. half-guilt, half- "hey.. it happens."

    We're literate teachers. What else are we supposed to do?

    Wonderful post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need a "book reading" snow day or someone else to take a couple of LONG naps so you can READ!

    There are worse problems than this! Keep reading and you will be FINE!

    franmcveigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think your husband was in on this? He could have asked the cleaning lady to stack them all in one place in hopes that you would come to the realization?! :)

    ReplyDelete