Monday, March 20, 2017

Letter to My Daughter 20/31 #sol17

A few months ago, I bought this great little book for my daughter that contains blank letters folded into it.  The point is to write letters on the papers and then I have all of the letters in one book.  You would think that I would have started writing letters to her in it, right?  Well you would be wrong.  I don't know what my problem is...I need to start writing in that book.  For now, I am doing this post as a letter to my daughter.

Dear Emerson,

Today was a day when I realized how quickly you are growing up in front of my eyes.  I love our car conversations when I pick you up from daycare at Lori's house.  I ask you questions about your day and you answer me.  Your eyes are always scanning the scenery going by outside your window.  And you ask me questions like "you go to work mommy?" and "where is my daddy?"  It's so tough to have to go to work all day, but I don't know if you will ever know how much I appreciate the end of the day when a little being is so happy to see me and spend time with me.

Today we had to go to the grocery store, and I decided to surprise you with a visit to the store that has "customer in training" carts that are the perfect size for you.  It's amazing how excited you can get over something like helping mommy do the grocery shopping.  I was armed with a basket and you had your little cart and we were ready to shop!  We only had two times when you accidently tipped the whole cart over...not bad I guess.  When I handed you items like bananas and yogurt, you enthusiastically loaded up your cart.  And surprisingly we only had one incident where you reached for the eye level Oreo package and I had to tell you no.

Yes, shopping probably took us twice as long.  Yes, we were not able to buy too many things since we only had a tiny cart and a basket.  But it was such a fun way to end my day.  Besides the fact that it took some time for you to navigate up and down the aisles, you also made sure to stop and wave or say hello to almost everyone in the store.  You managed to put a smile on everyone's face.  Of course, as your proud mama, I had the biggest smile.

Why do you have to grow up so fast?  You were such a big helper in the store and again when we unloaded the groceries in the kitchen.  And then as we climbed the stairs together to get ready for bed, I said to you, "Please be my baby, I don't want you to become a big girl."  Your quick response to me was "mama, I'm two, I'm a big girl."  And then you brought your step stool into the bathroom and suddenly you are tall enough to reach the faucet and turn on the water for brushing your teeth.

I know you are growing up.  But I do hope that time slows down a little bit.  Or maybe I will make sure to write about more of these moments like today.  Then when you are older, we can come back and read these stories together.

I love you to the moon and back, my little monkey girl.

XOXOXO,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. No amount of wishing is going to slow that clock down. Keep writing about the moments, you will treasure these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun day for all! Do keep writing those little moments - they slip away quickly!

    ReplyDelete