Monday, March 13, 2017

Make the Most of Your Time Here 13/31 #sol17

Sometimes I am glad that I am clueless when it comes to current events or news that has happened during the day.  I typically don't watch any news reports on TV.  I don't really listen to the radio much anymore.  So there are many times where I learn about things that have happened later or from friends.

Tonight, I happened to be scrolling through my Facebook feed and a post by a friend of mine caught my eye.  It was an article from the NY Times written by one of my favorite authors and filmmakers. And the status update that my friend had written caught me off guard.  She talked about being sad to learn that Amy Krouse Rosenthal had passed away.  I thought...this can't be true.

A quick search led me to her obituary.   At 51, she had passed away today, after losing her battle against ovarian cancer.  How could this be?  It's not fair.  Amy has been someone who I have admired.  She is an author of so many children's books that I love and share with adults and students all the time.  A copy of her book I Wish You More is sitting in one of the bins on my shelf in my office; I keep it as the first book in the bin because I love it so much and I want others to see it and love it too.

This can't be true.  This amazingly creative and thought-provoking being can't be gone.  She was such a bright light in an often dark world.  And now, that light has gone out?  No, I don't want to accept that.  Cancer sucks.

After learning the news, I immediately went to her website, a site that I have referred my teachers to before.  In fact, I used one of her awesome video projects, The Wisdom Project, to start one of my first staff meetings this year.  My theme for our building was about bringing the joy and Amy seemed to have been making a career out of finding, sharing, bringing, and expressing joy.

With tears in my eyes, I watched her Ted Talk.  Her talk about the "7 notes on life" is inspiring, and her final message from that talk?  Make the most of your time here.  I want to believe that Amy absolutely made the most of her time here.  I just wish she had more time here.

Thank you Amy for wishing us more ups than downs.  I hope that you had more ups than downs.  I hope that you had way more hugs than ughs.  I wish I could have wished you more time here. Because you were definitely everything we could have wished for and more.

9 comments:

  1. What?! I LOVE her picture books! I hadn't realized--I saw something about her books last week but didn't know she had cancer. Her books are so clever and quirky, kind and unique... The world has lost another wonderful human to cancer. Sigh. :( I'm glad you wrote this slice, but I'm not glad for that loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sad to hear the news today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NO! Same here; you're breaking the news to me on this. I had to stop reading your post to be sure it was the author I thought you were saying. It's too shockingly sad. Thank you for this post. It makes me so sad but I'm going to watch her TED talk and read Wish You More, a shelf staple here, with my sons tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To watch her TED talk & to check out her website are goals for tomorrow, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To watch her TED talk & to check out her website are goals for tomorrow, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been braced for this news since the shock of her lovely letter about her husband. Those of us who love her books will miss her, imagine how much more those who love her are grieving. I'm going to gather all the books of hers I have right now and add take a moment of appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz! Finally found your blog, thanks to Kristi's doc. The news was just awful. Thank you for pointing me to that site though and Amy's TED talk. I plan on buying myself her book Textbook as a gift for finishing the SOL at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this was sad news. I knew it would be soon after the letter in the NYT about her husband. A lovely person gone to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "more hugs than ughs." I love this kind wish.

    ReplyDelete