Sunday, March 26, 2017

Popsicle Bribery 26/31 #sol17

The pamphlet that comes with the amoxicillin prescription does not exactly serve as a manual for how to deal with a toddler with a double ear infection.  At 6:30 this morning, I found myself in a situation I definitely did not want to be in.  I had a screaming child telling me "I no like that medicine" and covering her mouth with her tiny hands.  Somehow my husband was upstairs asleep.

So I did what any sleep deprived mother would do.  I used popsicle bribery.  Thankfully I had just bought some Frozen popsicles.  I mean Frozen in the sense that Elsa, Anna and Olaf were on the box and apparently the mini popsicles were in colors to match the characters.  Doesn't really matter.  All I know is it worked.

Armed with two syringes of medicine, one with cherry Tylenol and one with the dreaded pink stuff, and a sippy cup full of milk, I was able to coax my child to swallow the nasty stuff.  We got into a routine although I wouldn't call it a rhythm: squeeze a little bit of Tylenol into her mouth, squeeze a little bit of the pink stuff, take a swig of milk, and then mommy promises a popsicle when it's all over.  And repeat and repeat until finally all medicine has been taken.

We have to do this for ten days?!  Crap.

I think I'm going to need to buy more popsicles.

5 comments:

  1. Yes you do! Because you know what, Elsa should be your right hand woman for the next 10 days. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to go to the store and get those popsicles quick! I do not blame your little one. Amoxicillin is pretty disgusting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever given medicine to a cat? I equate the two experiences. Medicating live little beings is its own art form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, whatever it takes for medicine or long flights. And this is classic, "Somehow my husband was upstairs asleep." I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love the line - "my husband is sleeping" - been there done that so many times. My kids reacted to the pink stuff - couldn't handle the dye in the medication - we moved to capsules that I broke up in baby food apricots - it ended all the hyper activity and the screaming about the awful stuff. It is something to think about it she gets lots of ear infections. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete