Thursday, March 23, 2017

Your Kids Need You 23/31 #sol17

I remember doing a great activity in one of my poetry writing classes in college, and I thought I would try it out for my late slice today.  This morning, I listened to an amazing keynote address given by Todd Nesloney, principal and one of the co-authors of the book Kids Deserve It.  I laughed, I cried, I was inspired by his talk and his passion.  Everyone at the conference was given a copy of his book.  I have already read the book, and I am excited to have another copy of the book to share with other educators.  So for my post tonight, I am going to open up to a random page in that book and write a poem using only words or phrases found on that page.

Here I go...

Your Kids Need You
(All words taken from pages 40 and 41)

School year
Invest in
      A little crying,
                     A hug,
                         A "special education student"

School year
Smile more
        See them
                   Take root
                           Smallest actions make the biggest difference

School year
Tear up
     Standardized tests
             Results touched my heart
                                  Said no one ever

School year
Believe in them
      A fresh new start
                  A seed waiting to bloom
                                 How powerful is that?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment